Pages

Nancy

Nancy

Welcome!

This is a place for fun (and money-saving) DIY project tutorials and tips for the home.



Powered by Blogger.

Monday, July 9, 2012

DIY Fabric Rosettes

So a while back I found this awesome scarf at a yard sale. I loved the vibrant colors and the texture of it, but I just didn't know what to do with it. One thing you should know about me is that I love hair flowers; I can't recall the last time I did not have some sort of flower on my hair. Going back to the colorful scarf... I finally gathered up some scissors, hot glue, and courage and decided to cut it in three pieces and make some rosettes out of it to make a headband. I have to be honest, I had never made rosettes before so I was a bit nervous, but I'm glad I took on the challenge because they came out so cute!

Materials:  
Fabric (1-2 inch wide by 12 inch long)
Hot Glue Gun
Hot Glue Sticks
Hard Felt (optional) 

Step 1: Roll With It: grab a corner of your fabric and begin to roll it. I find that rolling it upwards worked best for me. You want to keep rolling it tightly until it begins to want to twist into a little ball all by itself.
Step 2: Budding In: Continue to grab the corner of your fabric and roll around it tightly to form a firm little bud. Remember to continue to twist your fabric while you roll around the center.
It should look something like this:
 Step 3: Keep It Together: Apply a dab of hot glue throughout your flower to secure it in place. I found that securing the tail of the fabric between my index and middle finger allowed me to apply the hot glue more precisely and without accidents. 

 Step 4: Keep on Rollin': Make sure you continue to roll and twist tightly until you achieve your desired length or reach the end of your fabric. Just keep wrapping it in circles.


 Step 5: Finish Up: I left a little tail at the end of my rosette to give it a little leaf, but you can just keep going and hot glue the last bit of it to the bottom if you like yours to look a bit more clean.
 I made three of these babies in different sizes for my headband. 
  
This is optional, but if you want to have the back side a bit more finished, you can trace your rosette on some hard felt and create a back for it. It makes it easier to attach a pin, headband, etc. to it.
  
 I'm really happy with the way these turned out and I can't wait to get a headband to attach them to. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I will update with a picture once I have completed the headband.

    ReplyDelete